Friday 31 August 2012

Input and Partners Wanted

For quite a while I have been seeking ways in which to turn my risk management and contingency planning knowledge and expertise into something more. Sure, I love my day job as a contingency planner for a successful financial firm, but I have reached a stage where I feel I am capable of doing something more.

Hence this blog, initiated nearly a year ago to help me connect with other contingency experts across the world, and used as a place for contingency planners of all stripes to share ideas and best practices. While the blog has been marginally successful, it has really not transformed into what I had originally expected. Site hits have been disappointingly low, and, after numerous attempts at signing up for and using AdSense I have given up.

So I turn my attention and efforts elsewhere - specifically, I am seeking thoughts on (and partners in) a new online contingency planning template supply website. The idea is for the creation of a one-stop shop for contingency planners and organizations to come to purchase (for a nominal fee) all sorts of templates developed by myself and any other partners (examples include: BIAs, BCPs, Crisis Management Plans, Emergency Management Plans, Evacuation Plans, and so on). I am even considering purchasing templates from those across the field, and reselling these to those in need (with a portion of sales going to the template developer). Finally, I am hoping to eventually offer online contingency planning consultancy services in which organizations can submit a request for information or services and have their inquiries addressed and / or contingency planning documentation produced in a relatively short and painless manner (this would be a particularly useful service to small and medium-sized businesses whom are seeking some level of planning, but whom do not wish to hire a full time employee to facilitate and perform this planning).

What do you think? Does this idea have legs? Would you be interested in joining on as a partner?

Thank you for reading and enjoy the long weekend!
The Continuity Blogger

2 comments:

  1. A few thoughts on building a following for your blog :

    1) It takes time. I've been blogging for just over 2 years now but it seemed awfully slow going (and a tad frustrating) to start with. So stick at it and see the following points...

    2) Write interesting content. This sounds obvious but there's an awful lot of pretty turgid stuff out there. Try and come at things from a different angle - like you did with your "Why Contingency Planners SHOULDN'T Seek Ongoing Executive Support" article. I try to be a bit different and, dare I say, more interesting than the mainstream but I guess that's up to my readers to decide.

    3)Post regularly if you can. Advice from the "experts" suggests weekly or even daily, which isn't that easy if you have a life (I have to admit I don't post often enough) but it's important to keep people's attention.

    4)Tell people. Again, this sounds obvious, but you're unlikely to build and maintain a following from people just happening upon your blog. So use Twitter, LinkedIn and whatever other social media you use, as well as good old-fashioned e-mail, to let people know you've posted something.

    5) Let people know about other people's stuff that you find interesting and hopefully they'll reciprocate.

    6) Have a look at http://en.blog.wordpress.com/2012/04/12/how-to-get-more-comments/ and http://en.blog.wordpress.com/2011/07/28/how-to-get-more-traffic/ - for some useful advice.

    I hope this helps. My experience is that there's no magic bullet and it takes quite a bit of effort, but if persevere you'll get there, and hopefully it'll be worth it in the long run.

    Regards,
    Andy Osborne (author of "Oz's Business Continuity Blog")

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andy,

    Thank you so much for your thoughts. I must say, knowing that the struggle to build a reader-base is not a unique one has certainly given my the drive to persevere.

    I have tested out a few of your tips and have already noticed a marginal increase in readership.

    Thank you again and feel free to post any time you would like.

    ReplyDelete